To explain the troubles facing Iraq, whether violence, political stalemate, mass demonstrations, or other, a favorite explanatory variable is the various ethnic and religious cleavages found among the Iraqi population. Recent crises belie that...
- Strategic Competition for Bases in Djibouti 16 Aug 2018 The small country of Djibouti in the Horn of Africa made the headlines in May 2018 due to claims... International Security
- Is the Past Prologue? North Korea and Denuclearization 12 Jun 2018 The future of negotiations between the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK, North Korea), South Korea, and the United... International Security
- Franco-British-American Relations in Syria and Iran 12 Jun 2018 French President Emmanuel Macron’s state visit to the United States for three days in late April showed a somewhat... International Security
- US Withdrawal from the Iran Deal – What Comes Next? 20 May 2018 On 8 May the President of the United States announced the USA would no longer participate in the Joint... International Security
- Principled Realism: Interests and Ideology 02 Apr 2018 President Donald Trump’s first National Security Strategy opens with a description of its underlying philosophy, “Principled Realism:” “An America... International Security
- Iran’s Vulnerable Dictatorship: No Longer Able to Hide Its Misdeeds 05 Jan 2018 The following remarks were delivered by Ambassador Lincoln Bloomfield, Jr., a former U.S. State and Defense Department official and... International Security