Iran’s Threat to Global Security
How well does Washington understand Iran?
This Expert Analysis discusses how the failure of the USA to adequately understand Iran’s power structures may have detrimental consequences for global security. The Analysis, “How Well Does Washington Understand Iran?”, produced in coordination with The National Interest is a study into how the USA is failing to adequately understand the dangers posed by Iran’s leadership.Read More
TRENDS Services and Programs
TRENDS provides a wide range of consultancy, advisory and executive education services directed at government employees, non-governmental organisations and executives working in diverse organisations with an international focus. In all of our services we combine global knowledge and expertise with substantial knowledge and understanding of the Middle East/Gulf region.Read More
Constructions of Terrorism
TRENDS, The Orfalea Center and The Stimson Center organized a conference on Constructions of Terrorism: Confronting the Challenges to Global Security Created by Daesh/Islamic State. This was the second event in the Constructions of Terrorism Project being undertaken by TRENDS and the Orfalea Center as an interdisciplinary project that is investigating how states and societies construct understandings and categories of terrorism and extremism.Read More
Jihadist Insurgency Conference
TRENDS Research & Advisory and the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation hosted a two day conference on Jihadist Insurgency. The influence and impact of jihadist insurgency movements is being felt around the world in both “failed states” and established states. This two day conference brought together experts from around the world to discuss and explore the phenomenon of insurgency movements that are utilizing the concept of jihad to guide.Read More
Stop Violent Extremism MADRID +10: The Global Policy Dialogue
TRENDS Research & Advisory is proud to be a Knowledge Partner at the Club de Madrid Policy dialogue which was held in Madrid 27-28 October 2015. TRENDS, in cooperation with ICSR, King’s College, London, UK organised a Workshop dealing with “Countering Online Radicalization”.Read More
Constructions of Terrorism Conference
TRENDS Research & Advisory and the Orfalea Center for Global and International Studies organized a public conference on December 3 and 4, 2015 on Constructions Of Terrorism. The conference took place at the University of California, Santa Barbara, USA. The conference debated and discussed how terrorism and acts of terrorism are understood and explained.Read More
After a terrorist killed 84 people in a horrific attack on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice on 14 July, the...
July 27, 2016
In the last two years, the United States has experienced several...
July 12, 2016
Introduction The Fragile State Index (FSI) for 2016 has just been...
- Big Data and open source intelligence – A game-changer for counter-terrorism? 19 Jul 2016 The threat from terrorism continues to present a clear and present danger to many... Security, Defense & Terrorism
- The Need to Look More Closely at Iran 12 Jul 2016 In a recent Expert Analysis published by TRENDS, Ambassador Lincoln Bloomfield and Dr. Ramesh... Foreign Policy & International Relations
- Lessons from the Orlando Attack for Defining Terrorism 12 Jul 2016 In the aftermath of the mass shooting at an Orlando, Florida nightclub this past... Constructions of Terrorism
- Introducing Government Actions in Terror Environments (GATE) Dataset 10 May 2016 When conceptualizing counterterrorism, we naturally think of large-scale military operations that aggressively target terrorist... Security, Defense & Terrorism
- Misoverestimating Terrorism 03 May 2016 By the standards of an earlier age, terrorism remains a limited phenomenon. That could... Security, Defense & Terrorism
- THE WORLD vs. DAESH: Constructing a Contemporary Terrorist Threat 12 Apr 2016 In the span of two weeks, Daesh claimed the lives of nearly 400 unarmed... Security, Defense & Terrorism
Daesh/ISIS in Europe
The events in Nice have made it clear that the threat from terrorism in Europe is sustained, real, and that it needs to be much better understood. This forthcoming event, which is co-organised by TRENDS Research & Advisory and ICSR, King’s College London, is to explore the connections between Europe and the violence being...
TRENDS Interview with Ambassador Lincoln P. Bloomfield Jr. – 2nd Constructions of Terrorism ConferenceMay 15, 2016
TRENDS Interview with Prof. Marie Breen-Smyth – 2nd Constructions of Terrorism ConferenceMay 15, 2016
TRENDS Interview with Dr. Risa Brooks – 2nd Constructions of Terrorism ConferenceMay 15, 2016
TRENDS Interview with Charlie Winter – 2nd Constructions of Terrorism ConferenceMay 15, 2016
TRENDS Interview with Prof. Michael StohlDecember 20, 2015
TRENDS Interview with Dr. Lasse LindekildeDecember 20, 2015